Property Tax Appeal Form


If you disagree with the property classification or value identified on the Department of Revenue's notice, you have a right to request the department to conduct an informal classification and appraisal review once each appraisal cycle. To request an informal review of your property complete the Request for Informal Review (Form AB-26) linked below. Mail this form to or file it in person with the Department of Revenue office in the county in which your property is located. A list of Department of Revenue offices in the counties is found here.

You may chose to appeal your classification and appraisal notice directly to your local County Tax Appeal Board rather than first filing a Form-AB26. If you choose to appeal directly to the CTAB, fill out the Property Tax Appeal Form linked below. Mail this form to or file it in person with the county clerk and recorder within 30 days from the date on the classification and appraisal notice. A list of county clerk and recorder's offices in Montana is available here.

These forms are available in Adobe Acrobat PDF format. You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to view and print it. If you do not already have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer, you may download the software for free.

Use the appeal to County Tax Appeal Board form (MTAB-401) to file your appeal in your county for a County hearing.  You may only file an appeal to MTAB after a county board has decided your appeal.  Use the Appeal to MTAB form (MTAB-801) to appeal a decision of the County board hearing.  

Get Acrobat Reader

NOTE:  You may only appeal to MTAB after a county board has decided your appeal.